Career and Internship Specialist
Salary: $39,075.84 - $40,926.60 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Whitworth University Campus
Department: Career Services
Whitworth University is a place of fearless intellect and unconstrained commitment to the Christian faith, we equip our graduates to "honor God, follow Christ, and serve humanity." Whitworth believes that integral to its core mission is modeling love and understanding across racial, ethnic, gender, socio-economic, sexual orientation, religious, and other expressions of human difference. As a result, Whitworth recognizes that an equitable and inclusive community is central to our identity as a Christian university committed to educating and developing critically thinking students.
You are on this webpage because a position at Whitworth sparked your curiosity. If you find yourself questioning hitting the apply button because you might not meet 100% of the qualifications, we think you should do it! Research continues to show that women and BIPOC candidates are less likely to hit the apply button unless they meet all the listed qualifications. One way we are working to overcome this trend is every search committee at Whitworth has a trained Equity Advocate (EA) serving on the team. Our EAs are trained to make space for committees to consider each candidate's unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when you click apply, please know that your application is reviewed by a committee of real, living, and breathing human beings who want to understand your experience and skills to find ways you relate to the key competencies needed for success in the position.
As a valuable part of the Whitworth Center for Career & Professional Development team, the Career and Internship Specialist oversees all coordination of Whitworth's internship programs. This includes managing student internship applications and records, communicating with students, faculty advisors and the Registrar's office, and verifying internship contracts are in compliance with employer and university standards.
Internships | 75%
- Conduct internship orientations and classroom presentations that instruct students about the academic and liability requirements to receive credit.
- Manage credit-bearing internship electronic as well as hard-copy paperwork for on-boarding and concluding internships.
- Retain accurate records of students in the internship program.
- Communicate internship requirements with students, employers, faculty, and registrar.
- Work with academic departments, administration and COVAC committee to create and revise policy and procedures, ensuring the academic quality of internships.
- Maintain current internship marketing materials.
- Work with the director to develop internship opportunities for students and faculty.
- Report internship participation rates to campus constituents.
Career Center Operations | 15%
- Hire, supervise and lead student employees to assist with internship program responsibilities.
- Support student's internship search through Handshake
- Perform research to stay informed on current trends in the industry to support academic programs.
Other | 10%
- Assist with Center for Career & Professional Development career events.
- Assist with other internship needs and coordination as instructed by campus constituents.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications | Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Associates degree with one year of experience in higher education setting working directly with college students.
- Bachelors degree, no previous experience required.
- Demonstrated growth in cultural competence, awareness of societal and structural inequities and proven experience in effectively establishing relationships and positive communications with students and other constituents across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, varying abilities, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, class, or religious perspectives.
- A personal commitment to the Christian faith and to the integration of faith and learning
- A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth University as a Christian liberal arts university affiliated with the Presbyterian church.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Professional and effective written and oral communication.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills with proven ability to succeed with little supervision.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills with an attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and be productive.
- Proven experience in prioritizing multiple job duties during busy seasons.
- Experience in a career services role.
- Experience with various software platforms.
- Experience with data analytics, business, and research.
This position is .92 FTE working 40 hours per week on an 11 month schedule. Core working months are August 1st through May 31st, there is flexibility in scheduling the month off during June and July.
A background check and sexual misconduct check will be required of the successful candidate. A resume, cover letter, faith statement, and names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three professional references will also be required.
Looking for resources to help with writing a faith statement? Check out our faith statement resource page for more information.
Learn more about our shared work to achieve and sustain inclusive excellence HERE.
Whitworth complies with all federal, state, and local nondiscrimination laws that are applicable to religious nonprofit institutions and does not engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, sex, or disability. With our Christ-centered commitment to building a diverse and inclusive community, the university encourages applications from populations underrepresented at Whitworth including members of racial/ethnic communities, women, and persons with disabilities.
Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/whitworth/staff/jobs/4181295/career-and-internship-specialist
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency